from Italy with love :)

Nasze gusta niekoniecznie reprezentowane są przez zestaw cotygodniowych notowań LP3... Może mamy nasze własne?

Moderatorzy: Yacy, Grycek, jollyroger72, Yacy, Grycek, jollyroger72

Latta198
Listy Przebojów Trójki słucham od: 2013

from Italy with love :)

Post autor: Latta198 »

Hello everybody,
I write in English because I'm Italian and the only Polish word that I know is “piosenka” :D

I love Polish music of the 80s: Maanam, Lady Pank, Republika, Siekiera, Aya RL, Izabela Trojanowska, Brygada Kryzys, Perfect, Bank, Oddzial Zamkniety, Kobranocka, Rezerwat, Roze Europy, Sztywny Pal Azji, early Ziyo, and others. I don't like Lombard and Dzem that much.

Talking about the 90s, I love Myslovitz but I don't like Hey (I think this is due to the fact that I prefer brit-pop to grunge).

For a while I was thinking that the LP3 chart was a sort of Polish official chart. I discovered some great singers through it (for example, Martyna Jacubowicz, but also many of the bands I listed above).

Reading your forum some months later I learned that from the 60s to the 90s you had a lot of different music charts there in Poland (Seweryn Krajewski never entered the LP3 top-20, but he was often at the top of some television charts. I don't like Krajewski, it was just an example).
Which ones are considered the most important charts? Where can I find them?

Another question: which Polish bands/artists are considered important in the last 20 years? Please recommend me also some alternative bands if you want, not just the most popular ones.
LLucky
Listy Przebojów Trójki słucham od: ?

Re: from Italy with love :)

Post autor: LLucky »

Hello and welcome,

I'm a bit suprised that nobody replied yet, so I decided to write a word. I don't think I am not the best person to answer your questions, but talking about important Polish bands you definetely should check Voo Voo and Raz Dwa Trzy. Actually they don't play brit-pop, but maybe you'll find them interesting. ;)
As for the charts - I don't think one can classify them more or less important. They are like the music and some people would say LP3 is the most important, other may say something else. Of course one can think of social or even historical impact of any of this charts, but I'm not the one, who can help here.
Awatar użytkownika
Neo01
Listy Przebojów Trójki słucham od: 1997

Post autor: Neo01 »

Hi! :)
Check also bands like: Kult, Lao Che, Strachy na Lachy, Happysad, Coma - these bands are the most popular in polish rock in last 10 years (Kult even 30 ;) but You didn't mentioned it and they're quite big).

And, as LLucky says, there isn't something like official polish chart, but i think that the most important chart is our LP3 :) (later there was tv chart name "30 TON" which was quite official chart, but now there's only album chart name "OLIS", which show which CD's are the best sell).
LP3 is making by listeners, who giving they votes, but i think this is the most popular chart here and it quite good representing what polish listeners like (in quite big level :) ).

Greetings and enjoy your music! :D
Awatar użytkownika
Neo01

I forgot T.Love. Don't know that You know them, great polish band too...

Write if You like our propositions :)
Latta198

Hello everybody, I'm back :)
Thank you for your answers. I will give some feedbacks, eheh.

Neo01 pisze:I forgot T.Love. Don't know that You know them, great polish band too...
I've seen them many times in the LP3 chart but never listened to them before. I did it after your comment and I think their early singles are really strong. They played a striking mix of folk and new wave. "To wychowanie" and "Warszawa" are wonderful, and other songs seem to be great too. I think I'm gonna love them, so thank you very much <3

Neo01 pisze:Hi! :)
Check also bands like: Kult, Lao Che, Strachy na Lachy, Happysad, Coma - these bands are the most popular in polish rock in last 10 years (Kult even 30 ;) but You didn't mentioned it and they're quite big).
I know Kult very well, I simply forgot to mention them, eheheh. Their second album is one of my favourites.
I know Coma too, but I don't like them, their rock is too "muscular" for my tastes, they remind me to grunge, which I
don't love as you know, eheheh.
On the contrary, I had never listened to the other three bands before your post, so thank you again. :wink:
My impressions:
Lao Che - wow! They are strange and experimental, with some powerful melodies. I think this a huge recommendation :)
Strachy na Lachy - they are more canonical, but they seem to have some nice songs too.
Happysad - I have read some bad comments about them, but I can't understand why. They seem to play a pleasant kind of guitar pop, but I've listened to their debut album only. Maybe their other albums are not so good?

LLucky pisze:I'm a bit suprised that nobody replied yet, so I decided to write a word. I don't think I am not the best person to answer your questions, but talking about important Polish bands you definetely should check Voo Voo and Raz Dwa Trzy.
I know Raz Dwa Trzy, but they are too slow and folk for my taste, I'm sure they are a respectable and creative band, but I have some problems with this kind of music.
I've tried Voo Voo's first two albums released at the end of the 80s, they are some arty albums with unusual sounds, jazz elements and a lot of spoken words. I think I would appreciate them more by understanding their lyrics, but their music is fascinating enough to catch my attention. I will explore their discography, so thank you too. :)

As for the charts - I don't think one can classify them more or less important. They are like the music and some people would say LP3 is the most important, other may say something else. Of course one can think of social or even historical impact of any of this charts, but I'm not the one, who can help here.
I see. What I want to understand is why there are some contradictions between the LP3 chart and the effective popularity of some songs.
Example 1: "Wehikuł czasu" by Dzem seems to be one of the most popular Polish songs ever (over 10.000.000 views on Youtube!), but I've seen that it never entered the LP3 top-20.
Example 2: Oddział Zamknięty reached only no. 16 with "Andzia", but it has nearly 1.200.000 views on Youtube, while "To tylko pech" reached no. 1 but it has only 30.000 views.
Example 3: “Rysunkowa postać” and “Sztuka latania” by Lady Pank both reached no. 1, but the first has around 40.000 views, while the second has around 1.700.000 views. How is that possible?
Example 4: according to some sources I've found on this forum, "Jestem panem świata" by Bank was one of the greatest blockbusters of the early 80s in Poland, with around 500.000 copies sold, but no one of his songs reached the LP3 top-20. This is really strange too...
Ostatnio zmieniony czw mar 21, 2013 2:02 pm przez Latta198, łącznie zmieniany 1 raz.
Latta198

Was my previous message too long? :D

I want to add a thing: I don't know if this was the right section for this thread. I used google to translate the titles of threads and sections from Polish to English. If this is not the right section you can move this thread somewhere else :)
Latta198

I'm sorry that nobody answers, is it because I write in English?
I don't know Polish, I would like to learn it but it's a difficult language to learn without teachers. :(
If you want I can try to translate my posts in Polish through Google Translate, but I don't know if it would work...
please let me know, I would love to interact with you. :)

I've got a lot of other questions. For example, I've sound this song:
Ewelina Lisowska "W Stronę Słońca"

I've seen that is enormously popular in Poland right now (13.000.000 views on Youtube!), but it isn't in the LP3 chart at all. At the same time, "Minulost" by Nohavica has only 400.000 views but it is highly placed in the LP3 chart.

So I'm thinking that the LP3 chart is not a real popularity chart, but it's more a "good music" chart.
I think this because the Lisowska song that I mentioned above is really awful. Ahahah, I can't listen to it, it's terrible. On the contrary, "Minulost" is really good. :D
Am I right about the LP3 chart? Is it a particular kind of chart for those who cares about music?
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Listy Przebojów Trójki słucham od: 640
Kontakt:

Post autor: Miszon »

First of all - I'm quite surprise, that someone from Italy, not polish-speaking person, is the fan of LPP3 chart. How does it happen? I mean - how did you find LPP3, is there some special story about that? ;-) It's really unusual. But of course I'm very happy of that :-D .
Latta198 pisze:
Neo01 pisze:I forgot T.Love. Don't know that You know them, great polish band too...
I've seen them many times in the LP3 chart but never listened to them before. I did it after your comment and I think their early singles are really strong. They played a striking mix of folk and new wave. "To wychowanie" and "Warszawa" are wonderful, and other songs seem to be great too. I think I'm gonna love them, so thank you very much <3
Hah, I see you have "good ear" for music, because both of that songs are not only one of most popular songs of T.Love, but also marked as one of their best recordings!
Latta198 pisze:Lao Che - wow! They are strange and experimental, with some powerful melodies. I think this a huge recommendation :).
I wonder, which of their albums you were listening to? Because their each album is totally different, in music and lyrics. Debut was quite psychodelic about prechristians and middleages myth and legends from our region. "Powstanie Warszawskie" is punk rock concept album about Warsaw Uprising in 1944, "Gospel" is about God in specifical mixture of pop, rock, reggae, and other. "Prąd stały/prąd zmienny" is rather cold wave and their last album - "Soundtrack" - is soundtrack for not existing film with lot of electronic devices.
Latta198 pisze:Happysad - I have read some bad comments about them, but I can't understand why. They seem to play a pleasant kind of guitar pop, but I've listened to their debut album only. Maybe their other albums are not so good?
I think that each one of their albums has its fans. I prefer second and forth album, many people say that 3rd is the best. It's hard to tell, or even hard to understand, why they have so many anti-fans. Generally, they have good reviews in music press, but many people think about them as a "kid band", probably because of their simple and catchy song melodies.
Latta198 pisze:I've tried Voo Voo's first two albums released at the end of the 80s, they are some arty albums with unusual sounds, jazz elements and a lot of spoken words. I think I would appreciate them more by understanding their lyrics, but their music is fascinating enough to catch my attention. I will explore their discography, so thank you too. :)
Yes, they have their own style, probably noone in Poland manage to copy them. Also, they're very good musicians - one of the best guitarists and drummers in Poland. In '90s they recorded few albums inspirated by folk/world music which I don't like, but Oov Oov from 1998 is in my opinion one of the best polish '90s albums.
Latta198 pisze:Example 1: "Wehikuł czasu" by Dzem seems to be one of the most popular Polish songs ever (over 10.000.000 views on Youtube!), but I've seen that it never entered the LP3 top-20.
Hard to explain someone from Italy but in 80's there was "official" and "underground" market. Dżem was one of underground bands. For example - they waited few years for recording their debut longplay. Probably that was the reason. But I'm not the best person to answer that question, I've started listining to LPP3 in '90s.
Latta198 pisze: Example 2: Oddział Zamknięty reached only no. 16 with "Andzia", but it has nearly 1.200.000 views on Youtube, while "To tylko pech" reached no. 1 but it has only 30.000 views.
I really don't know. Someone older shoud answer ;-) .
Latta198 pisze:Example 3: “Rysunkowa postać” and “Sztuka latania” by Lady Pank both reached no. 1, but the first has around 40.000 views, while the second has around 1.700.000 views. How is that possible?
In '80s Lady Pank was one of top 4 most popular bands in Poland. Almost everything they recorded as a single was huge hit. But it seems that after many years some of that recordings became evergreens and some lost their battle with time ;-) . Also - "Rysunkowa postać" was the song from soundtrack of cartoon movie "O dwóch takich co ukradli Księżyc", not from normal album.
Latta198 pisze:Example 4: according to some sources I've found on this forum, "Jestem panem świata" by Bank was one of the greatest blockbusters of the early 80s in Poland, with around 500.000 copies sold, but no one of his songs reached the LP3 top-20. This is really strange too...
I don't know. Actually i thought they were "one hit wonder" ;-) .
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Kontakt:

So I'm thinking that the LP3 chart is not a real popularity chart, but it's more a "good music" chart.
I think this because the Lisowska song that I mentioned above is really awful. Ahahah, I can't listen to it, it's terrible. On the contrary, "Minulost" is really good.
Am I right about the LP3 chart? Is it a particular kind of chart for those who cares about music?
I think you've already answered your question ;-) .

You're right - LPP3, and also whole Trójka channel, is generally speaking for people that cares about popular culture, social, politics and economic problems, etc. Let's say that it's for people that look for sth more on radio than pop songs and stupid quizes. That's why they don't play Lisowska's songs on Trójka and LPP3 is (generally) chart only for songs that are available to hear here.

Of course it was popularity chart in 80s but now it has a bit alternative profile. But there were always some artists "not allowed" to chart on LP3 - for example Modern Talking, many boysbands of 90s and 00s, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga and so on.
That's why it still has so strong trademark and is recognizable in Poland. 1000th and 1500th LPP3 were broadcasted or noted in almost every big polish TVs and radio stations with lot of special guests - musicians and journalists.

I recommend you document Beats of Freedom, actually it's not about LP3, but gives you some information about history of polish rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZIEgh ... video&hd=1

and BBC's document about polish biggest festival od 80s - Jarocin, "My Blood Your Blood":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2fbal7 ... 8A51C&hd=1 (no english subtitles but I think you can find it somewhere)
Both of them will answer on many of your questions, I think :-) .
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Kontakt:

Latta198 pisze:Another question: which Polish bands/artists are considered important in the last 20 years? Please recommend me also some alternative bands if you want, not just the most popular ones.
OK, it was like that:
1992-1996 we had huge boom of "polish rock" (10 years after first boom), although many bands started their careers in 1990 or sth.

There were many groups with female vocalists, so even though they played different styles of rock, many consider them as "female rock". Most popular were:
Hey (try their albums after 2001 - they changed style and since then there's nothing about grunge in their music!), Edyta Bartosiewicz, Kasia Kowalska, O.N.A., Closterkeller (it's gothic rock), Nosowska, Varius Manx

of course we had also some singing guys ;-) like:
Wilki ("polish U2" of 90s ;-) ), Ira, Acid Drinkers (metal), Voo Voo, Armia (symphonic punk), Kazik/Kazik na Żywo (it's the same guy, but two groups, with different style. Kazik na Żywo is "polish Rage Against the Machine"), Collage (slightly progressive rock, "polish Marillion"? ;-) ), Big Cyc (kind of "cabaret punk" :-) ), Proletaryat

after 1995 was second wave, rather underground bands (some of them later gained mainstream success) like:
Myslovitz, Homo Twist, Sweet Noise (metal), Kobong (math metal), Blenders ("polish Red Hot Chili Peppers" ;-) ), Rotary (brit pop), Hunter (metal)

Of course, old legends of 80s remained stil very popular: Kult, Dżem, Bajm, T.Love, Republika, Lady Pank, Perfect, Maanam (last four considered as most popular polish groups of all-time)

About 2000 polish rock was in crisis, most popular were some groups with a bit of folk style, like:
Golec uOrkiestra, Brathanki, Kayah i Goran

But after 2003-5 debuted many new artists, usually alternative, but some of them became very popular:
Cool Kids of Death, Coma, Lao Che, Lenny Valentino (project with only one album, but brilliant!), Pogodno, Riverside, Satellite (both progressive), Strachy na Lachy, Ścianka

We have also very strong and known on the world (even more than in Poland) extreme metal scene: Vader, Behemoth, Decapitated, etc.

OK - it was very short summary ;-) . I can write some most known albums of groups above, if you want to :-) .
LLucky

Latta198 pisze:What I want to understand is why there are some contradictions between the LP3 chart and the effective popularity of some songs.
Example 1: "Wehikuł czasu" by Dzem seems to be one of the most popular Polish songs ever (over 10.000.000 views on Youtube!), but I've seen that it never entered the LP3 top-20.
Example 2: Oddział Zamknięty reached only no. 16 with "Andzia", but it has nearly 1.200.000 views on Youtube, while "To tylko pech" reached no. 1 but it has only 30.000 views.
Example 3: “Rysunkowa postać” and “Sztuka latania” by Lady Pank both reached no. 1, but the first has around 40.000 views, while the second has around 1.700.000 views. How is that possible?
Example 4: according to some sources I've found on this forum, "Jestem panem świata" by Bank was one of the greatest blockbusters of the early 80s in Poland, with around 500.000 copies sold, but no one of his songs reached the LP3 top-20. This is really strange too...
Latta198 pisze:So I'm thinking that the LP3 chart is not a real popularity chart, but it's more a "good music" chart.
Hi again!

Sorry for the delay, I had no time to write, but I thought a bit about the answer to your doubts. Now I see you've found one by yourself. You're right: people from Trójka and LPP3 do care about the music and play only "the good" one. But there is more. LPP3 started in 80s, when there were no internet. Listeners had voted mostly by sending regular postcards and I believe there were not many of them. As far as I know it was enough for the song to have 100-200 votes to reach the top of LPP3. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Now, when the website is the only way to vote, a song has to have at least 1000 votes to enter TOP30 and about 2000 to get to the top. Ten times more makes a little but significant difference: in the 80s it was easier for the song to enter the chart and leave it in the next week just by accident, randomly. And if the song leaves LPP3 - the is no return. Every week votes are reseted and the game starts again. When listening to the music on YouTube you can see the total number of listeners/viewers over all the time this song was published there. So if you want to compare the popularity of song on YouTube and LPP3, you should recalculate one of this numbers to the same scale as the other one uses. I know, It would take some time, but there is another way to compare it more accurately. Check the LPP3 TOP20 summary archive - actually there are two, each with a little bit different way of calculating total points: http://www.lp3.pl/alpt.phtml?m=21 and http://www.lp3.pl/alpt.phtml?m=22.
These summaries are for all songs on the LPP3 chart - Polish and foreign. If you would like to have only Polish songs, you should check a Polski Top Wszech Czasów ( http://lp3.polskieradio.pl/polskitopnotowanie/ ) - a chart of Polish songs from all the times. You see, current LPP3 is (mostly) about what's hot at the moment. Top Wszech Czasów is about the all time hits. This is another reason, why there are differences between LPP3 and YouTube. On YouTube you rather see what songs are popular now (well, maybe not right now, but in a few last years). Current hot hits are mixed with evergreens and it's hard to see the difference, especially if you are from Italy and listening to Polish music. :) Actually it is not easy at all - I believe you listen also a lot of Italian music, don't you, Latta? Can you tell, listening to new music, what song will still be popular after 30 years, and what will be forgotten in a year?

This question was to be the final thought of my answer, but I just realised, that maybe the answer is: "Yes, I can". If you really can, you should work in the radio, because it's a gift. :)

Greetings, anyway!
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Kontakt:

Llucky mentioned Polski Top Wszechczasów and this is good recomendation. People vote it once a year, so it shows what is important for them in alltime history od polish rock. That will give you some clues about popularity of newer bands you were looking for.
Latta198

LLucky pisze:But there is more. LPP3 started in 80s, when there were no internet. Listeners had voted mostly by sending regular postcards and I believe there were not many of them. As far as I know it was enough for the song to have 100-200 votes to reach the top of LPP3. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Now, when the website is the only way to vote, a song has to have at least 1000 votes to enter TOP30 and about 2000 to get to the top. Ten times more makes a little but significant difference: in the 80s it was easier for the song to enter the chart and leave it in the next week just by accident, randomly. And if the song leaves LPP3 - the is no return.
That's really interesting, thank you. Now I understand why in the 80s a no. 1 song generally stayed in the LP3 chart for a 15 weeks average, while since the 90s the average became way longer (some songs stay in the chart for 50 weeks, that never happened in the 80s).

I believe you listen also a lot of Italian music, don't you, Latta?
I like a lot old Italian music, but today the Italian music scene is really bad: the mainstream scene is terrible, and the alternative scene is made by uninteresting bands who are totally unable to propose something peculiar (just think that we are still having bands who play alternative rock in the style of the 90s, they didn't realize that we are in 2013 :| ). The majority of them also write some bad, annoying lyrics. Anyway, in the past we had a great music scene, at least until the 80s.
We also had a great new wave scene, but unlike the Polish scene, our new wave was only underground, none of them became popular, unless they changed music style. That's why I was surprised to see how much popular your new wave bands were.
I mean, bands such Maanam or Republika had a really aggressive, harsh sound, here in Italy they would have not only a chance to became famous. Poland and Jugoslavia have probably the only music scenes in the world to made superstars bands who played such a difficult and experimental kind of music. You should be really proud of that, it's amazing!

Can you tell, listening to new music, what song will still be popular after 30 years, and what will be forgotten in a year?
I see, I was just curious about it.
Here in Italy often happens that a song at first does not obtain great success, but after some years it becomes a cult classic and its popularity grows up exponentially. For example, two of the most popular Italian songs ever (I won't say their titles because they are really awful :mrgreen: ) were nearly unnoticed at their time and they didn't enter the chart. Today everybody knows them.
Anyway, the opposite process is rare here in Italy: when a song is really famous, it will remain famous, at least among the generation who lived it.
Latta198

Miszon pisze:First of all - I'm quite surprise, that someone from Italy, not polish-speaking person, is the fan of LPP3 chart. How does it happen? I mean - how did you find LPP3, is there some special story about that? ;-) It's really unusual. But of course I'm very happy of that
A friend of mine who loves German new wave, casually gave them Aya RL's debut album. He said "I've found this while I was searching for some German bands. It's so bad, take it, I wouldn't listen to it anymore".

I didn't have any expectation, but then I listened to it and I thought: "my friend, you are crazy, this is one of the most creative albums I've ever heard".
It was some years ago. At the time I had a very stereotyped concept of Polish culture.
I thought Polish people were only god-fearing Wojtyla fans. What an idiot I was, I'm so ashamed for this today!
After listening to this album I felt the need to explore your music scene, to understand if there were other bands like that.
So I discovered Siekiera. "Hey, they are great too!"
Then came Maanam. "My god, they're even greater!"
Then Repulika. "Oh gosh, this is the most incredible band I've ever heard!"
Every new band was a surprise, they all sound different from each other, all in a creative, peculiar way.
The greatest shock for me was to discover that they were popular. Popular bands with such an experimental sound!

LAO CHE - I wonder, which of their albums you were listening to? Because their each album is totally different, in music and lyrics. Debut was quite psychodelic about prechristians and middleages myth and legends from our region. "Powstanie Warszawskie" is punk rock concept album about Warsaw Uprising in 1944, "Gospel" is about God in specifical mixture of pop, rock, reggae, and other. "Prąd stały/prąd zmienny" is rather cold wave and their last album - "Soundtrack" - is soundtrack for not existing film with lot of electronic devices.
Just some songs on Youtube, but I will surely listen to their albums.

I see. Anyway, can anyone confirm that at the time their first album was a best seller? Do you have some sources?

Miszon pisze:That's why it still has so strong trademark and is recognizable in Poland. 1000th and 1500th LPP3 were broadcasted or noted in almost every big polish TVs and radio stations with lot of special guests - musicians and journalists.
Very nice. In Italy we don't have a powerful alternative media like that. :)

I recommend you document Beats of Freedom, actually it's not about LP3, but gives you some information about history of polish rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZIEgh ... video&hd=1
It seems nice, but I don't understand Polish unfortunately. :( Is there any English subtitle?

Of course, old legends of 80s remained stil very popular: Kult, Dżem, Bajm, T.Love, Republika, Lady Pank, Perfect, Maanam (last four considered as most popular polish groups of all-time)
I wish Italy could have such good popular artists. With the exception of the great Franco Battiato (one of my favourite singers ever), today Italian superstars are all examples of bad, bad music.

OK - it was very short summary ;-) . I can write some most known albums of groups above, if you want to :-) .
Sure, I would appreciate it a lot!
If I can ask it, try to avoid metal or bands with an American sound, because it's not a style I love (I mean, I don't like Rage Against the Machine or Red Hot Chilli Peppers. :( ).
I'm more into British rock music: post-punk, new wave, gothic rock, brit-pop, progressive rock, some electronic music too. Obviously I would appreciate also some folk singers, if they have interesting arrangements.

Llucky mentioned Polski Top Wszechczasów and this is good recomendation. People vote it once a year, so it shows what is important for them in alltime history od polish rock. That will give you some clues about popularity of newer bands you were looking for.
I knew this chart, but I was surprised to see some bands I thought to be among the most popular in relatively low positions. For example, Lady Pank placed only a song, "Zawsze tam gdzie ty", at no. 86 (if I can say that, musically speaking it's not one of their best songs, maybe it's there because of its lyrics). No one of their songs from the 80s is in, I was surprised to not find "Kryzysowa narzeczona", "Sztuka latania" (my favourite, a real masterpiece) or "Mniej niz zero".
Maanam were also low, but at least they placed two songs (even if only at no. 67 & 91). Anyway, it's a good chart.
Glad to see "Wieża radości wieża samotności" so high, it's such a wonderful piece of music. :D
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Kontakt:

A friend of mine who loves German new wave, casually gave them Aya RL's debut album. He said "I've found this while I was searching for some German bands. It's so bad, take it, I wouldn't listen to it anymore".

I didn't have any expectation, but then I listened to it and I thought: "my friend, you are crazy, this is one of the most creative albums I've ever heard".
WOW! I'm very glad to read that! In my opinion this is one of few best polish albums of '80s (with also great lyrics, very cold and thrilling).
So I discovered Siekiera. "Hey, they are great too!"
And "Nowa Aleksandria" is in my opinion in the same category - best of '80s :-D .
Latta198 pisze:Then Repuplika. "Oh gosh, this is the most incredible band I've ever heard!"
Hah, best band of '80s? :-) BTW: their singer, Grzegorz Ciechowski, in late '80s had very succesfull solo carrier as Obywatel G.C. Have you heard about that project?

Maanam and Republika also recorded some stuff in English. Republika played on Roskilde Festival :-) .

Anyway - great story! :-D
Is there any English subtitle?
I think it must be somewhere.
I knew this chart, but I was surprised to see some bands I thought to be among the most popular in relatively low positions. For example, Lady Pank placed only a song, "Zawsze tam gdzie ty", at no. 86 (if I can say that, musically speaking it's not one of their best songs, maybe it's there because of its lyrics). No one of their songs from the 80s is in, I was surprised to not find "Kryzysowa narzeczona", "Sztuka latania" (my favourite, a real masterpiece) or "Mniej niz zero".
Maanam were also low, but at least they placed two songs (even if only at no. 67 & 91). Anyway, it's a good chart.
I think that Lady Pank and Maanam fans vote on many of their songs with no leader, so their votes split. "Mniej niż zero" as far as I remember was in Top 100 previous years, also "Tacy sami" (or sth more?).
I also think that their fans don't care so much about Polski Top Wszechczasów as other bands' fans. Or their a bit older?
Another cause could be that Lady Pank's and Maanam's songs didn't have so strong political and social meanings like Perfect's or Republika's. Maanam sings about love, other their lyrics are a bit mysterious, Lady Pank about love, freedom, music and so on, while for example Republika's songs were always interpreted as "generation' songs" about a man living in a communism system, and Perfect's "Autobiografia" is also "hymn of '80s generation" although it tells a story of a guy much older than their fans in 80s (lyric mention Carl Perkins and Stalin, then Radio Luxembourg, so it's a flashback to '50s-'60s). But I think that main reason is that both bands have so many hits (Maanam - over 70 songs on LPP3!), that there's no one iconic song of them (probably "Zawsze tam gdzie ty"/"Mniej niż zero" and "Kocham Cię kochanie moje"/"To tylko tango", but hard to tell).
Latta198

Miszon pisze:WOW! I'm very glad to read that! In my opinion this is one of few best polish albums of '80s (with also great lyrics, very cold and thrilling).
Eheheh, I know. I found the translation of "Ulice miasta" and my reaction was: :shock:
Some incredibly powerful and fascinating lyrics.

And "Nowa Aleksandria" is in my opinion in the same category - best of '80s :-D
Yes, they're up there, but honestly a lot of other Polish albums of the time are in the same league. In my opinion, it was the best European new wave after the British movement.

their singer, Grzegorz Ciechowski, in late '80s had very succesfull solo carrier as Obywatel G.C. Have you heard about that project?
Sure, "Nie pytaj o Polskę" is one of my favourite songs of the 80s. :)

I think that Lady Pank and Maanam fans vote on many of their songs with no leader, so their votes split. "Mniej niż zero" as far as I remember was in Top 100 previous years, also "Tacy sami" (or sth more?).
I also think that their fans don't care so much about Polski Top Wszechczasów as other bands' fans. Or their a bit older?
Another cause could be that Lady Pank's and Maanam's songs didn't have so strong political and social meanings like Perfect's or Republika's. Maanam sings about love, other their lyrics are a bit mysterious, Lady Pank about love, freedom, music and so on, while for example Republika's songs were always interpreted as "generation' songs" about a man living in a communism system, and Perfect's "Autobiografia" is also "hymn of '80s generation" although it tells a story of a guy much older than their fans in 80s (lyric mention Carl Perkins and Stalin, then Radio Luxembourg, so it's a flashback to '50s-'60s). But I think that main reason is that both bands have so many hits (Maanam - over 70 songs on LPP3!), that there's no one iconic song of them (probably "Zawsze tam gdzie ty"/"Mniej niż zero" and "Kocham Cię kochanie moje"/"To tylko tango", but hard to tell).
Some great informations as always! :)
Awatar użytkownika
TomaszBr

Post autor: TomaszBr »

Hello :)
I'm so proud that someone not from Poland glorifies our music! It's a little surprise to me that you consider Polish rock as fantastic.
Latta198 pisze:So I'm thinking that the LP3 chart is not a real popularity chart, but it's more a "good music" chart.
yup, but actually it's not a popular chart among teenagers, unfortunately (i'm seventeen, so I can see that young people don't listen to LP3). Even though they listen to rock (for example, Hey, Myslovitz, Lao Che, Strachy na Lachy, Happysad and even Coma are some popular teens' bands), they don't know/don't enjoy the LP3.
Latta198 pisze:Lao Che - wow! They are strange and experimental, with some powerful melodies. I think this a huge recommendation
yes, you should definitely check all albums! Their every album is totally different, like Miszon said. Majority of fans say that the best Lao's album is Gospel, but I love also Powstanie Warszawskie and Prąd Stały/Prąd Zmienny. And if you enjoy them, check the album of Spięty, who is frotman of Lao Che. Maybe you'll also find there some interesting melodies.
Latta198 pisze:It seems nice, but I don't understand Polish unfortunately. Is there any English subtitle?
It actually is in English, only some episodes are in Polish :)
Latta198 pisze:Then Repulika. "Oh gosh, this is the most incredible band I've ever heard!"
Yes, in my opinion it's one of the best (or even the best!) Polish band ever. Have you checked song called Moja krew? If you haven't, do it right now! And of course read translate of lyrics, that text is very strong.
Latta198 pisze:If I can ask it, try to avoid metal or bands with an American sound, because it's not a style I love (I mean, I don't like Rage Against the Machine or Red Hot Chilli Peppers. ).
I think Kazik Na Żywo is not like RAtM (I don't like Rage, but I do Kazik ;) ). Another project signed (in past) by Kazik is Buldog, but in their music lyrics are crucial - they play a kind of hip-hop (in fact, I don't like rap/hip-hop, but some song, especially Do Generałów are quite nice).

I would recommend you also Armia or Closterkeller, which are still a bit popular in Poland, but I'm not sure you'll find them nice. Armia plays punk rock, Closterkeller gothic, I don't know if u like it.
Too bad you don't like early Hey (Misie is one of my favourite songs ever!), but definitely check some newer albums. Texts written by Katarzyna Nosowska, vocalist of Hey, are still believed to be great. One of songs from her last solo album called Kto? is loved by much of people hearing that. Listen to that song and read the text translation, it's really fantastic!
Aren't we to tiring with our propositions? Let us know if it's enough :)
Sorry for eventual grammar mistakes, my English is still bad ;)
Latta198

TomaszBr pisze:Hello :)
I'm so proud that someone not from Poland glorifies our music! It's a little surprise to me that you consider Polish rock as fantastic.
Eheh, I have to say that an important part of my nature as a listener is to search for unusual music. Obviously it has to be beautiful, not only unusual. The fact is that I'm tired of listening to English-speaking music all the time. Moreover, good music should have no barriers. I also listen to Russian, Argentinian or Japanese rock, for example. But I can't lie, Poland has my favourite non-English scene. 38 millions of people (22 less than Italy!) with an enormous amount of every kind of music. This is outstanding.

yup, but actually it's not a popular chart among teenagers, unfortunately (i'm seventeen, so I can see that young people don't listen to LP3). Even though they listen to rock (for example, Hey, Myslovitz, Lao Che, Strachy na Lachy, Happysad and even Coma are some popular teens' bands), they don't know/don't enjoy the LP3
Really? I thought that the LP3 chart was quite young, looking at who enters it.

Yes, in my opinion it's one of the best (or even the best!) Polish band ever. Have you checked song called Moja krew? If you haven't, do it right now! And of course read translate of lyrics, that text is very strong.
I know it, it is my favourite song by Republika. Unfortunately I can't find a good translation of it. I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5kRR9gUJg but it is a really bad translation, I suspect that this Youtube user do not know English very well. :mrgreen: The only thing I understand is that the song talks about blood, journalists, bankers and priests, eheheh.

I think Kazik Na Żywo is not like RAtM (I don't like Rage, but I do Kazik ;) )
Glad to hear that! I will try them.

I would recommend you also Armia or Closterkeller, which are still a bit popular in Poland, but I'm not sure you'll find them nice. Armia plays punk rock, Closterkeller gothic, I don't know if u like it.
I like gothic rock, but I prefer the 80s movement, I don't like Closterkeller that much. Armia seem to be very good, I still have to explore them, but I like every song I know.

Aren't we to tiring with our propositions? Let us know if it's enough
Don't worry, I think I'll never be tired of Polish music. ;)
LLucky

Latta198 pisze:I know it, it is my favourite song by Republika. Unfortunately I can't find a good translation of it. I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5kRR9gUJg but it is a really bad translation, I suspect that this Youtube user do not know English very well. :mrgreen: The only thing I understand is that the song talks about blood, journalists, bankers and priests, eheheh.
Well, it's not bad. It's hard to find good translation for some Polish words in the text, but I think that English vocabulary used by translator is quite good. The problem is showing the words in the same time they are sung - it makes the meaning of whole sentences hard to catch.
Another problem is that some words are translated too accurately - the meaning of them may be very good translation of what Ciechowski wanted to say, but they sound differntely that's not what he wanted listeners to feel. The emotions are very important. I've tried to translate this lyrics using some less sophisticated words, so I had to change the meanings a bit, but I think I managed to get a balance between the emotions and the meaning:

It's my blood that's flowing silently inside my body,
which hides in darkness of corridors.
In alcohol in women's mouth there is blood,
that lives under my skin, measured in litres
and flowing in one river to the sea. The bloody sea!
My blood is frozen, packed and sent to banks of blood.
The bankers transfer it on secret accounts.
The secret weapon in my blood.
This secret weapon is designed to even better,
more beautifully and painlessly embody blood.
My blood is drunk by priests,
when they speak on platforms
and when they discreetly negotiate -
that's my blood!

That's my blood what printed screams every day from newpapers,
from the headlines painted with the blood.
That's my blood what TV speaker's coughing out.
On TV screen I'm counting marks of my blood.
That's my blood what every lady sips on party in the embassy.
She gently tilts the glass - yes, that's my blood!
That's my blood what's used to sign the war
and love, ceasefire, peace, treaty, cheque, sentence to death -
that's my blood!

Another thing is that it is sung in quite different way. No commas, no periods - just a flow of words. Some sentences start even when those previous haven't finished yet. There is a lot of double meanings, playing with the words. So if you find yourself confused reading lirycs in YouTube version - it may be how it was meant to be. Whole this song is a paranoia - both the music and the lyrics.
In positive, artistic meaning of this word.

Strange, I've just realised that today is the Maundy Thursday - the day that Jesus Christ said: "This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you"...
Awatar użytkownika
Neo01

Latta198 pisze:
I see. Anyway, can anyone confirm that at the time their first album was a best seller? Do you have some sources?
This album was sold with around 950.000 copies! This is amazing, couse this band is really no-name for polish people now. I read, that was some kind of commercial rock group, which make the most of tide of the market, they were playing a lot of concerts but don't really appeared in media; after a few years they're gone and a history of them was end. But the "score" is awsome! :)
Latta198

Neo01 pisze:This album was sold with around 950.000 copies! This is amazing, couse this band is really no-name for polish people now. I read, that was some kind of commercial rock group, which make the most of tide of the market, they were playing a lot of concerts but don't really appeared in media; after a few years they're gone and a history of them was end. But the "score" is awsome! :)
Maybe 950.000 are too much (only Wikipedia reports this figure, but without any kind of source), but it has surely sold around 500.000 copies at the time of its release. This is still an enormous featuring, that's why I can't understand how today they are an unknown band. Can you find older users in this forum who remember if they were popular at the time and why they disappeared? I would appreciate it a lot. :)
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Kontakt:

Probably a bit too late, but I thought you might be interested in listening to Trójka's 6th Polish All-Time Top 100. It is broadcasted now ;-) till 19:00.
Second ad third part will be tomorrow and day after tomorrow, also at 16:00-19:00.
Awatar użytkownika
Miszon
Kontakt:

Latta198 pisze:
According to those informations:
http://forum.lp3.pl/viewtopic.php?p=328 ... 67#p328275
Bank sold nearly 400.000 copies of their LP in 1982, only Perfect sold more.
But here:
http://forum.lp3.pl/viewtopic.php?p=320 ... 67#p320661
170 000 in 1982 and over 320 000 in 1983.

Both based on printed materials from '80s (polish magazines).
Latta198

Miszon pisze:Probably a bit too late, but I thought you might be interested in listening to Trójka's 6th Polish All-Time Top 100. It is broadcasted now ;-) till 19:00.
Second ad third part will be tomorrow and day after tomorrow, also at 16:00-19:00.
Hi Miszon,
I followed it on the Trojka Facebook page. But I honestly can't understand the voters' taste. Too much Dzem on the top-100, I really can't see why Polish people love them so much. Are their lyrics so good? Because their music really isn't, it is just trivial blues-rock, there at least 500 American bands with the same sound...
I mean, you have incredible bands such as Lady Pank, Maanam, Aya RL, Kult, and you prefer Dzem? It is beyond my conception. :D

Anyway, I did something better than following the top-100. I've taken the whole list of candidate songs on the Trojka site. It's a very long list, I think they are at least 1000 songs, and I listened to them all in the last month. I discovered a lot of incredible music, I'm starting to think that you have the best European music scene after Great Britain.
Awatar użytkownika
TomaszBr

Post autor: TomaszBr »

Latta198 pisze:But I honestly can't understand the voters' taste.
Unfortunately, I must agree with you ;) Dżem is quite good band (yup, some of their lyrics are good indeed), but 8 songs in top-100 is too much for me. Instead of that, I'd definitely choose Maanam, which is actually too less represented band in top-100.
In fact, there is a lot of songs in top-100, which I hate or dislike very much, so I'm not satisfied of results. I'd throw out all Lady Pank and Perfect, which are overrated, or three songs of Coma. Leszek Żukowski is their only fantastic song, in my opinion it's enough.
ODPOWIEDZ